Monday, December 27, 2010

Moving at our own pace

I've been seriously struggling lately with comparing myself to my peers. I know it's what the twenties decade is all about- but I honestly feel like EVERYONE I know, besides probably less than 10 people are either: pregnant, engaged, married, or about to be married. It seems as though at least twice a week I am finding out about someone else who is pregnant from my high school/hometown. In other news, I found out today that my ex boyfriend was 'gifted' a house and moving to Cali with his girlfriend (who he started dating a week after I dumped him). For some reason this bothered me because when I dated him he was like the total opposite! He lived at home with his parents, had no goals.. ugh just a loser. Anyway; I know I made a good decision by moving on, because he wasn't 'the one'. Still, it kind of bothered me to hear that because I wish I was more ahead in my life than I am.  I feel like my life hasn't exactly panned out as planned (which is fine, plans don't usually work out anyway) and I'm having a hard time accepting that. Everything happens for a reason though, and time will bring all my goals & dreams to fruition. Not being the independent person I've been for the past 6 years basically. Like I mentioned last night, that was part of my identity. People always were impressed with me and how responsible and independent I was. Between losing that (by moving in with family, and being unemployed) and my 'Florida' roots, it's been confusing!

I am glad my life has rolled the way it has though, even with the ups and downs, because if things hadn't happened the way they have, I wouldn't be who I am today. Quite honestly, I'm proud and happy with who I've become. I am SO different than I was even just two years ago. Breaking up a toxic relationship was step #1 to finding who I really am:
-I found out I don't need a boyfriend to be happy.
-I also found out how much I value my alone time.
-I realize I am determined, spontaneous, and value true friendships.
-Change is good, even if it's hard at first.
-I can stick up for myself, without being a bitch (most of the time!)
-I'm pretty damn funny & giving advice.

Do you struggle with comparing yourself to your peers? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment